Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Few Things About High Cotton

Hi there.  Welcome to High Cotton. 

Things are new here. 

A new house, and a new blog, and our little family is settling into the "newness" of both.




Please pardon the off-center and fuzzy blog head at top.  And I do apologize that Life on Surrey Lane does not automatically redirect you to High Cotton.  I've learned a few things about Blogger.  When you change your address, you lose all of your "popular posts" links and your followers, so this feels a little bit like starting over.  Obviously I have a few quirks to work out.  Please bear with me.  And if you're still reading, THANK YOU!


via
An Introduction
So, since this is a new address, I feel like I should start with a little introductory post about High Cotton.  If you're from the south, you're probably familiar with the phrase, "high cotton" meaning "the best of times" or "good fortune."  I did a little research and learned that the phrase borrows its jargon from the antebellum rural farming community.  Most cotton grew fairly low to the ground, and therefore required a great deal of effort to harvest, stooping low to pick the cotton.  Those who had more favorable (and expensive) crops grew cotton that didn't require you to lean down.  Instead, it grew tall and was therefore know as "high cotton."


A Little Dream: a sewing business called High Cotton
I've had a little dream for the past year or so of starting a sewing business.  I love creating something useful with my hands for others to enjoy.   When I sew, I like to think of the generations of women who sat at their sewing machines or with needle and thread making items to adorn their family and homes. Sewing provides me with a "back to basics" kind of satisfaction and a sense of providing for those I love. 




Right now, High Cotton Handmade is just a dream, but I'm slowing moving closer to "go."  The plan is to start out very small and just offer one or two items like the silhouette pillows I've shared before here and here





The goal is to create items that are unique, fresh, and meaningful.  Bo has known about this dream of mine from the start, and I am so thankful for my super supportive husband who knows more about business than I do and can offer me plenty of advice.  I also hope that you will offer advice on items you'd like to see offered.

 I'm quickly learning that this new endeavor will take a lot of courage! 

2 comments:

  1. found your new site! those little silhouette pillows are ADORABLE!! best of luck as you start your own business. once you are up and running I'll do a little blog feature on it! xo, tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I finally got caught up on "High Cotton". I love it already and I'm glad to hear about your "High Cotton" dream. That's wonderful Sara and I totally think you should start the business. You are so talented and creative and others (like myself!!) would love to have your creations in our home. Please keep me posted and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete