Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Personalized Onesie DIY

I've been working on these today.


They make great gifts and are simple enough to make.  Here's what you need:

  • blank onesie
  • iron-on tear-away stabilizer
  • fusible transfer paper (like Wonder Under) and pressing cloth
  • scrap fabric
  • computer print-out of initials (I used the font Georgia and increased the size)
  • sissors
  • iron
  • sewing machine
  • thread
  • sharpie
1 - First, iron the fusible transfer web to the wrong side of your scrap fabrics following the directions on the package.  You are preparing your scrap fabrics to eventually be ironed/fused to your onesie.

I used Wonder Under that I purchased at Hancock's - it's sold by the yard, so you just have to ask a sales person to cut it for you.  I used less than 1/8 of a yard for this project.


2 - Next, trace the reverse image of each initial with a sharpie onto the paper-side of your scrap fabric (now lined with Wonder Under) and cut out each initial.



3 - Iron your stabilizer onto the inside of the onesie where you plan to put the initials.  The stabilizer is necessary since you are sewing onto a knit fabric - it keeps your stiches from puckering.  Hancock's also sells this.  This package was about $3 and I only used a small portion of it.



4 - Take the initials you just cut out and position them on the chest of your onesie.  Make sure there is plenty of stabilizer on the reverse-side of the onesie.

5 - Peel off the paper backing on each initial left over from the Wonder Under.  Reposition initials on onesie and set with iron following directions on Wonder Under package.

6 - Using your sewing machine, stitch around each initial remembering to backstitch at the beginning and end of each initial.  This could also be done using a needle and thread if you don't have a sewing machine. 



7 - Inside out onesie and tear away stabilizer on inside.  Trim all of your threads. 

And here's the finished project - This one is for a sweet friend of mine who just had a little boy named Jackson. 



And my model is sleeping upstairs, otherwise, I'd include a picture here of him wearing his new onesie.  I'll try to capture one of him later this week.   

4 comments:

  1. Too cute. Seems like I might need some lessons from my friend. I just bought my first Wonder Under today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never cease to amaze me with your craftiness! I love the onesies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, what you describe as an easy craft is like reading greek to me! but these are TOO cute and I'd love to pay you to make a few for me. would you ever market/sell these? (ansley.boatman@gmail)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute cute cute! I'll definitely pass this post to Janell and see what she thinks of it for maybe the fall issue! Thank you so much for sharing this with me:-)

    ReplyDelete