Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Sewing Machine's Been Busy

 I have been dying to get behind the sewing machine again to try my hand at some fall clothes for McCord.  I picked out this pattern  from Hobby Lobby - overalls in the lower right corner. 

Notions - buttons, snap tape, and applique came from Hancock's.  Here's a picture of the applique I picked out.  To attach it to your fabric, you can use the enclosed brads or stitch around the perimeter.  Pretty nifty!

If you're a beginner sewer like me, this is a good pattern to work on because there are only a couple of pattern pieces, but there are a few tricky areas.  It  requires making 2 button holes, overcasting, and sewing on snap tape.  It took me a while to learn how to do those things, but once I figured it out, it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.  From start to finish - including cutting out the fabric, and learning a few new sewing tricks - the whole project probably took me about 6 hours.  I hope the next one I make will take half of the time. Total cost for pattern, material, and notions: $20 - $25.

Here are a few pics of the finished project:






Mom, I won't fit into this thing until I'm 3 years old!
Supposedly, this size is a 6 - 9 month size (I hope Mc can wear it after Christmas), but doesn't it look HUGE?!

Also, I discovered this seller on Etsy, and got inspired to make my own appliques to jazz up a few of Mc's onesies.  Here's a sneak peak of the hedgehog.



4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed. You are so crafty! I love the overalls and the onesie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, these are precious! You're so talented! You should make and sell these items - they're adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! Way to go on the overalls, I need some lessons.

    ReplyDelete