Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day


When Bo & I put McCord down to sleep at night we always sing him "This Little Light of Mine" and incorporate his name into the lyrics.  Lately he's been "singing" (read: humming/moaning) with us.  I always lay next to Mc in his bed and scratch his arm as we sing.  It is such a tender time of night, and sometimes it takes all the self discipline I have to make myself get up and close the door.  Sometimes I just want to lay there in the darkness, holding him as he falls asleep, listening to him breath and thanking God for our family.

Tonight was one of those nights.

Wade was especially alert for McCord's bedtime so I put him in bed with McCord and me while Bo & I read one of Mc's favorite books to him - Construction Alphabet.  After we said our prayers, we sang McCord's song and as usual, he decided to participate.  After singing the verse we made up with his name, I sang it again with Wade's name.  And there we lay - Wade sandwiched in the middle.  McCord, in his sweet and gentle way put his hand on top of Wade while singing his dedicated verse, patted him, and gave him a kiss.

As mothers and fathers, isn't it moments like this that we hope for?  Isn't it moments like this that we hold close to our hearts - promising never to forget.  I am so very thankful for our little family of four and for the opportunity to know the joys, challenges, frustrations, and celebrations of parenthood.

On this Father's Day, I celebrate the 3 fathers in my life - Bo, my dad, and my father-in-law - and am thankful for the influence they have on my sons' lives.  It is my hope that my two little boys will one day know the distinct honor of becoming fathers one day themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment