Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

T'was the Week Before Valentines

...and we've been busy CRAFTING!


If you've been reading this blog for a couple of weeks - you'll remember that I made Mc a Valentine's onesie that looked like this...

...but the project went horribly wrong when I put the onesie on Mc and it was about 3 sizes too small.  Since then, my dad's been calling it "McCord's Halfsie."  So, thankfully my friend Jess has a great sense of humor and isn't afraid to accept a refashioned onesie for her one-month-old little girl Eliza.  As it turns out, I think I like the "Eliza" version better.  Happy Valentine's Day Eliza!


So, McCord sprouted 2 teeth about a month ago and now I think he's on round two - lots of drooling and of course everything goes in the mouth - especially the tags on all of his toys.  So, I decided to make him a "taggie" for Valentine's day to chew on. 

I cut out 2 sides of the heart from scrap fabrics and embroidered "be mine" on one side. 


He loves the sound of his toys that crinkle, so I tried to mimic it by placing a piece of plastic inside (I read somewhere that you can use the wrapper that comes on diaper cases), so I cut a heart-shaped piece out of this too.  This worked okay on the finished project, but I'm on the hunt to find another material that crinkles a little louder.


Cut a variety of ribbons (all about 4" in length)


Fold each ribbon in half and stitch the cut ends to the edge of the right-side of your fabric.


Pin pieces of fabric right-sides together and stitch around perimeter leaving a 3" gap.


Pull project right-side out, stuff, and handstitch closed. 


 Here's my second attempt at making a Valentine's onesie for Mc.  This one is much less involved (and I purchased a onesie that's size 12 mos. just to be on the safe side!).  Here's Mc getting ready to help. 


Here's what we used: onesie, fabric paint, paint brush and rubber stamp.  BTW, there's some great inspiration on making rubber stamp onesies over at  Fly Through Our Window

 This is one I got at Michaels over the summer for cheap, cheap, cheap!


 "Love you"


Here's McCord testing out the new taggie...



...and here's the new Valentine's onesie (fits much better than the halfsie!) 

And finally, we found a great recipe in the February issue of Parents Magazine for Cream Cheese Melts.  

  • Mix 4 oz. cream cheese, 1 Tbs. butter, 1 Tbs. light corn syrup, and 1/4 tsp. mint extract in a large bowl until smooth.
  • Gradually beat in 3 cups powdered sugar.  When the mixture starts to come together, turn it out onto a clean work surface and knead, adding up to 1/2 cup more sugar as necessary to prevent sticking, until dough is smooth. 
  • Divide dough into three even pieces.  Tint one part dark pink and one part light pink with the red food coloring.  Leave the thrid part white. 
  • Roll each portion into a 15"-long rope.  Twist the 3 ropes together and roll into a single rope about 3/4" wide.  Flatten slightly and cut into 3/4" tricolored pieces. 
  • Spread the mints out in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheets; cover and chill 4 hours. 
The dough gets really sticky and creates a mess, but it's so worth it. They are delicious! I doubled this recipe and it made about 100 pieces - plenty to share with everyone you know!





Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. thanks so much for visiting my blog and saying hi! you've got an ADORABLE family! Little boys are the BEST!
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case anyone else is like me and are interested in the Cream Cheese Melts, they are delish!!!!!! Sara was sweet to share them with our Bunco group tonight! (I was secretly hoping she would!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the BEST mama!!! Enjoy life!!!

    ReplyDelete