Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Weekend Project

Did anyone see these great micro fiber towels at Target's dollar spot this week?  They're cheap ($1 for 2)and super-absorbant, so I snatched up a couple to make some new kitchen towels.  This project was so quick - here are the steps for an easy weekend project. 
  • Choose a coordinating fabric to sew to the reverse-side of the towel
  • Trim fabric to size of towel
  • Place fabric and towel right sides together and pin
  • You may want to add some trim - I chose this rick rack, but would have used these pom-poms (below) if I'd had enough on hand



  • Sew around the border of your fabrics and remember to leave about a 4 inch opening in the boarder to pull the fabrics right sides out (as if you were sewing a pillow covering)
  • Before pulling fabric right sides out, trim corners and excess fabric from the boarder, then pull fabrics right sides out
  • Iron edges of your new kitchen towel and topstitch around the towel with a coordinating thread (I set my machine to the triple stitch setting for a more substantial look)
  • If you are really feeling Martha Stewart-ish, you could put a contrasting thread in your bobbin so you'll have a different color topstiched on each side of your towel



  • Hand sew the opening closed
  • Enjoy your new kitchen towel!
This project was so quick, I had enough time to make two between McCord's naps. 


3 comments:

  1. Oooh!!!! That is soooo cute Sara!!! I need to learn how to sew that way I can make super cute towels like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so crafty Sara! I love the new towels. I need to hire you to make me things for my house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are horrible! Now I have to dust off my sewing machine, probably go to the store and ask how to thread it again, and start buying fabric! AAAAHHH! I love your towels, and was just thinking the other day I'd like to find cute towels for a change. Now I'll make them! And HOPEFULLY this will gear me up for some more projects : ) Thanks Sara, great idea!

    ReplyDelete