Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

McCord is One Month Old!

So many of my girlfriends are great at documenting their children's milestones with photos.  I don't know if I'll be as disciplined, but we are going to try to take a picture of McCord next to his maple on the first day of the month (his birthday) so we can watch him grow with the tree.  Bo and I managed to get off to a good start for his first month birthday, but I've temporarily misplaced my camera, so you'll have to check back to see the photos here are a few photos. 

Watch me grow with my maple

One month old with Lil' Mac
Lil' Mac, do they take naked pictures of you too?!!!

Here are a few things that I want to remember about McCord's first month -
  • At his one month appointment, McCord weighed 9 lbs. 3 oz. (he gained 3 pounds from his first appointment!) and was 22 3/4 inches long.  He's in the 30th percentile for weight and the 85th percential for height.
  • You slept in your car seat for the first couple of weeks because we couldn't get you to sleep in the bassinet.  We love the bassinet so much (it was the same one GeeGee - my mother-in-law - had as an infant) that we had you sleep in the car seat inside the bassinet.  Sounds silly, but it worked. 
  • At first you couldn't stand diaper changes, but you quickly grew to enjoy them
  • Your umbilical cord is still attached at 4 weeks old!
  • To the pediatrician's disbelief, you enjoy your nightly sponge baths
  • McCord got his first bottle of breast milk at 4 weeks old and sucked it down!
  • Your daddy and I are amazed at the noises you can make when you're sleeping - you are definitely "all boy" because you grunt, gargle, and fart freely
  • You started smiling at your mom and dad at 3 weeks old.  We thought it was just a coincidence at first because it seemed early, but quickly a pattern emerged that you'd smile at your favorite things: sponge baths, diaper changes, walks around the block, car rides, and looking at anyone who's baby talking to you
  • So far, you enjoy looking at the ceiling fan and the two toys that dangle from your car seat
  • One of my favorite memories of your first month is the drive home from the hospital. Your dad drove us home, and you and I rode in the back seat. We happened to be listening to a James Taylor CD and "Carolina On My Mind" was playing when we crossed the stateline.  I was overcome with emotion about bringing a baby home to our house, seeing the "Welcome to South Carolina" sign, and hearing the lyrics, In my mind I'm going to Carolina.  Your dad and I were so excited to be leaving the hospital.  All of the things we dreamed about, the life we intend to share with you, was all right in front of us at that moment.  I wanted to remember that moment forever, so I took this picture of us on the ride home.  You can see we both still have our hospital bracelets on.


How truly blessed we are to have you in our life, McCord. 

1 comment:

  1. Awww!! He is so precious Sara!! I know you and Bo are so in love with your sweet baby boy!

    ReplyDelete