Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter: Butterfly Release and Egg Hunt

Our caterpillar became a butterfly!



A few days ago I blogged about the caterpillar that we've been raising with hopes to release it on Easter Sunday.  I was convinced I killed it after it spun its cocoon.  One day last week, Monkey was taking a nap and I noticed our cat was very interested in Harry the caterpillar's habitat we made for him.  Up until that point, our cats haven't wanted anything to do with it.  I walked over to the jar where we kept Harry, and at that moment the butterfly was shedding the cocoon.  A half an instant later, it spread its wings and flew for the first time!

I was so excited, I ran upstairs and woke Mc up from his nap so he could see Harry in his butterfly state for the first time.  I think Mc was as amazed as I was.



I can honestly say this is one of the neatest projects we've worked on together.  I have had the best time watching Mc take interest in the caterpillar and discover its amazing metamorphosis - not unlike the transformation he will take in a few short months as he becomes a big brother.

We were able to keep Harry alive for a few days on carnations and strawberries sprinkled in sugar water and joyfully released him in our church's memorial garden today with the other preschoolers who raised caterpillars.




As soon as Harry flew away, we asked McCord "where did Harry go?" and this was his response.  Shear amazement!
One of the butterflies liked Bo's seersucker jacket and Mc got to see it close up!


Another special Easter memory: McCord's first Easter egg hunt.



This special Easter basket was Bo's when he was a little boy.  It's seen many Easter egg hunts in its time. 

Here's little Bo on an Easter past putting the Easter basket to good use.  Who would have thought he'd have a son who would use this very same basket to collect Easter treasures? 

Check out the goodies!
And look what the Easter bunny brought McCord -- a big boy bed - a Habitat Restore treasure!  Before and after pictures to follow in another post.


Here's a picture of the headboard - my dad stripped it down and sanded it.  I stained it blue and upholstered it in foam and batting and did a monogram applique to coordinate with the kids' room.   We hope to get it assembled in Mc's room over the coming weekend.


And a short video for the grandparents of Mc's first egg hunt.


No comments:

Post a Comment