Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Recovering a Lamp and Master BR Update


Over the weekend, we had a great family reunion in Hodges at my grandmother's old farmhouse - lots of food, fellowship, and fishing.  My mom cleaned out a few items and laid them out for dibs, and I inherated this great lamp - but as you can see, it needed some TLC.  It looks like it has milk glass on the trunk, but unfortunately it was accompanied by a brassy-like base that was cracked. 

I sprayed the base with spray paint - I read somewhere that they make an "oil rubbed bronze" spray paint, but I couldn't find it at Wal-Mart.  Instead I used a black spray for metal - which adhered well, but I'm still on the hunt for oil rubbed bronze.  If anyone knows where to find it, let me know!

Next I recovered the old shade following this great tutorial from Janell at Isabella and Max Rooms.   Everything that Janell does is superb and her tutorials are really easy to follow.  Here's the finished lamp...


This inspired me to freshen up our Master Bedroom.  Here's the before:


So I changed out the bedding and used the leftover fabric to make a panel for the window and a pillow for the bed.  Making this panel was a leap of faith, because I just started sewing and hoped that it would look okay in the end. 


With about 2 yards of fabric, all I did was hem all four ends, adding a space up top for the rod, and then I took large safety pins to pinch up the sides.  I didn't want to make the shade a custom fit for this window because, in the event that our house sells, (!)  I know I'll want to reuse this fabric in another location.  This is a temporary fix for sprucing up our bedroom!




And here's the after - complete with Rocky snoozing in the sunbeam:



Did I mention that my son is now taking 2 naps a day?!!!

3 comments:

  1. The lampshade looks really great, I love the fabric you used, a beautiful and fresh geometric, my favorite kind of fabric. Thanks for the shout out! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used oil rubbed bronzed for a mirror I just redid. I bought it at Home Depot I think. Love it! It got such great coverage and really looks like metal and I sprayed it on wood. LOVE the fabric and lamp. So cute. The bedroom looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I noticed you are in Rock Hill, SC. If so I am excited to meet you. I live in Rock Hill as well.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete