Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

McCord's Maple in all its glory

For such a small little tree, McCord's Maple has put on quite a show for it's first fall on Surrey Lane.  Here's a photo that I took earlier in the month of Bo and McCord right as the maple was beginning to change colors.

 Today I noticed that it has just about lost all of its leaves, but here's a picture I took of Bo & Mc last Thursday. Completly decked out in all its glory.




And here's a picture of McCord at 2 weeks old pretending to stand next to his maple.  This was taken the day we planted the tree.  Look how much he's grown!  Bo and I have delighted in watching both Monkey and the maple grow and change in just 4 months.

So in honor of the maple's first fall on Surrey Lane, here's a poem that my dad found.  It's by Larry Matthews and is so fitting for McCord's Maple. 

THE MAPLE TREE

I don’t know why God placed me here
But I think He picked the perfect spot.
Here now for a century, not just anywhere
But here! This is my chosen lot.

I’ve shaded this quiet country home,
Watched this family passing by,
Watched children grow and leave to roam'
Felt my leaves blow off and die.

Heard children’s laughter fill the air
Swinging on a swing in my branches there.
Watched her brush her auburn hair
Underneath my branches there.

Sunday picnic beneath my summer shade.
Watched a loving family have fun and play
Watched her auburn hair begin to fade
As time gently coaxes her hair to gray.

Seasons come and seasons go.
Horse and wagons pass to and fro.
God continues to let me grow
In this favorite spot I know.

Years pass by, the road is paved.
Cars and truck go swishing by.
Times are changing, nothings saved.
Every one rushing, on the fly.

I think I know why God placed me here
A loving shelter from life’s storms
Help protect a wonderful family from all fear
With shade and cover from devil’s swarms.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem! And so fitting for the Redmonds and sweet McCord!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a lovely poem. It makes me a little sad though, how fast the years will go by. Both the tree and the fam look great!

    ReplyDelete