Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Homemade Stocking Stuffer and Vintage Books

Sometimes I'm late to the party, but I have just discovered Wee Wonderfuls, and I'm in love!   Hillary Lang is the creator of the adorable Wees and is a stay-at-home mom turned small business owner.  She crafts all sorts of fun toys and just published a book appropriately titled Wee Wonderfuls.   Meet Olive and Archie - two of her creations:



Arent' they adorable?!  Her blog lists a couple of free pattern downloads where I discovered the Wee Bunny.  Here are a few pictures of McCord's stocking stuffer complete with a seersucker bow tie! 





...and of course, I have to show the booty! 


And while we're talking about books, our local library had a book sale a couple of weeks ago where I scored a few vintage children's books for Mc.  I love the illustrations from the books - in fact the characters look surprisingly similar to the Wees.  My favorite of the 3 books is called I Look Out My Window and was published in 1964 by Playskool.  It's made from heavy cardboard and has really held together over the years.  It is about a little boy who looks out his window (book is cut out on each page to make a window) to see how he should dress for the day according to the weather. 





The other two books were also published the the 60s by Rand McNally.  Hickory Dickory Dock is about a mischievous little mouse and Lancelot is about a lion who learns to roar. 



It makes me wonder who the children are - now grown adults - who held these three books in their their little hands.  Children who asked their moms and dads to read them over and over until all of the words were memorized and the pages worn down with love.  McCord has already put some good mileage on these three books, and I'm comforted in knowing that our little 4 month old is connected somehow to a timeless tradition of reading.  

3 comments:

  1. Those are adorable!!!
    I have been collected old children's books for a little while now for when we have children. I LOVE classic books!!! The illustrations are sooo neat and so timeless. Love you new finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cute bunny!!! i love the dolls and their backpacks. I have some very old children's books from my mother and my childhood and they are so special to me! I love the ones that have the sticker in the front that read "this book belongs to: Diana Marie Odgen" (my mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You inspire me to be more creative and crafty every time I read your posts. McCord is such a lucky lil man to have you for a mommy!! Love your old books you found too and glad McCord is enjoying them. Stella's enthralled by all of her books too. ;)

    ReplyDelete