Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

20 Weeks

This is the end of my 20th week being pregnant, and I can hardly believe that I'm at the 1/2 way point!  In an effort to remember all of the little details of this pregnancy, I've created the list below:

20 Things to Celebrate 20 Weeks of Pregnancy

1. Bo and I found out that I was pregnant on Saturday, October 24th, 2009 and had our first appointment to confirm the pregnancy the following Wednesday, October 28th. 
2. When I was 5 1/2 weeks pregnant, I passed out while shopping at TJ Maxx!  Fortunately, a kind woman and her daughter caught me on the way down and stayed with me until the Fire Department and Paramedics arrived (!). Bo and I hadn't told anyone that I was pregnant, so a group of strangers were the first people we shared the news with.  One of the paramedics was a real funny guy - when Bo came to pick me up, he said, "You know, Steve is a really nice name" - thanks for the suggestion, Steve. 
3. At 6 weeks, we had our first ultrasound and heard the heartbeat (113 bpm).  Our due date was confirmed for July 4, 2010. 
4. Bo and I told our parents the news at 8 weeks along - right around Thanksgiving.  
5. 10 week u/s on December 7th, 2009 and heart rate was 170 bpm.  Our doctor's office records our u/s on DVDs so we're able to share them with our families.  
6. Our two selected names for the baby are: 
Robert McCord Redmond (McCord is my mom's maiden name and Robert was my "adopted" grandfather) 
Eliza Perrin Redmond (Perrin was Bo's mom's middle name and comes from her paternal side - Eliza is just a name we like)
The baby - boy or girl - will be called McCord or Perrin.  For now, we're calling the baby Pumpkin.
7. On December 7th I had an out-of-body experience.  I came home for lunch and saw a 4 foot tall stork hanging out in our neighborhood near the creek.  I've never before seen a bird like this in Rock Hill.  He gawked at me as I drove past him - then spread his wings and disappeared!  I think he was a good omen, "Baby on the way!  Special Delivery in July!"

8.  After I found out I was pregnant, this fortune was in my Chinese cookie: A new relationship is about to blossom.  You will be blessed.
9. At 16 weeks, the doppler showed that the heart rate was 140 bpm.  Here I am at 4 months.  The baby's about the size of an orange.

10.  At 17 weeks, Bo sent me and Pumpkin roses at work.  It was a complete and total surprise.

11. During the last day of my 18th week, I felt Pumpkin kick for the first time.  It was 7:12 a.m. and I was driving back from Commerce, GA after spending the weekend with Bo.  I left early to make it back in time for church.  Since it was so early, there was no one on the interstate, and I was enjoying some quiet time.  Suddenly, I felt an undeniable kick.  I pushed on my belly, and then there was another!  We did this little game for a couple of times, and I enjoyed bonding in this way for the first time.  Feeling the baby kick is one of my favorite parts about being pregnant. 
12. Bo felt Pumpkin kick for the first time last week!
13. I spent the first trimester eating lots of bagels.
14. My mom came up for the anatomy ultrasound at 19 weeks since Bo was out of town.  We were so relieved that the baby got a healthy report (heart rate 138 bpm).  We told the u/s tech that we didn't want to know the sex of the baby, so she had us look away for a portion of the u/s.  That took major self-control.  I did peek to make sure my mom was closing her eyes, but I didn't peek at the baby!
15. Not sure if I'm nesting already or if I'm just feeling the need to create more room in our house, but I've been obsessing about cleaning out closets lately.  One more to closet to purge, and then I can relax!
16.  Making things for the nursery has brought me great satisfaction.  Bo and I are already enjoying spending time in that room.  Here's a picture of the window treatment in progress. 

17.  I read that the baby can hear your voice and external stimuli at 20 weeks.  I checked out a bunch of children's books at the library this week so Bo and I can read to my belly.  We've also been listening to lots of classical music.
18. At 20 weeks, I took an unexpected trip to the hospital for fluids after a 24-hour stomach bug.  This was our first time inside CMC-Pineville where we'll deliver.  We loved the nurses.  Everyone was so nice.  I especially delighted in seeing a volunteer sitting at the nurses station knitting a little baby cap.  So sweet!  The nurse told us they have special 4th of July ones for the summer babies!

19. I thought I could slide by without looking too pregnant by wearing a jacket - until this weekend.  I met a friend for lunch in Charlotte and asked the host of the restaurant if she had arrived yet and he said, "Oh, you confused me.  I thought you were with the large baby shower since your pregnant!"  Secret's out!
20. I have been really fortunate for the first half of this pregnancy with minimal morning sickness, a great appetite and a decent amount of energy.  Bo and I pray every day for a healthy full term baby!

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you are half way there either! It just seems like yesterday that you told me you were pregnant. Your litte baby bump is soooo cute! We need to get together for another dinner date, even if it is Moe's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post!! It is hard to believe that you are halfway there! We enjoyed seeing y'all last weekend. You look wonderful!! So excited for y'all and praying for a smooth pregnancy and delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the fabric that you are using and love the names you have picked out. I thought it was funny about the strangers in TJ maxx being the first to know- the lady that does my alterations was the first to know about me cause she had to let out a bridesmaid dress for me!

    ReplyDelete